Beet Hummus Recipe
- 1/2 pound beets (about 4 medium sized beets), scrubbed clean, cooked, peeled, and cubed*
- 2 Tbsp tahini sesame seed paste
- 5 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest (zest from approx. 2 lemons)
- Generous pinch of sea salt or Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
*To cook the beets, cut off any tops, scrub the roots clean, put them in a covered dish with about 1/4-inch of water in a 375°F oven, and cook until easily penetrated with a knife or fork. Alternatively, cover with water in a saucepan and simmer until tender, about 1/2 hour. Peel once they have cooled.
Place all ingredients in a food processor (or blender) and pulse until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings and ingredients as desired.
Chill and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for longer storage.
Eat with pita chips, or with sliced cucumber or celery, or on a crostini with goat cheese and shaved mint.
Makes 2 cups.